Situated close to Birmingham city centre, Edgbaston Reservoir is a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation. It was built in 1827 by Thomas Telford as a top-up for the city's canal system, and is still used for that purpose today. The 70-acre site is mainly open water and supports a variety of bird species, as well as newts and bats. A belt of woodland and grassland encircles the reservoir, providing an oasis of natural beauty in an urban setting. Walkers and joggers make use of the 1.75-mile path around the reservoir, while various sports take place on the water.